Call Us Today! 818-788-8900


What is adjustment of status?

Posted by Richard J. Tasoff | Apr 15, 2018 | 0 Comments

Whether you have moved to the United States to pursue your dream or you want to move closer to family, there are several methods you can use to gain permanent resident status in the country. According to U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services, you may go through the adjustment of status process if you are already in the United States. Consular processing must be used if you are currently located outside the country. Before you can apply, however, you must determine if you qualify under one of the green card eligibility categories.

Once you know you are eligible, you must fill out a green card application and have a sponsor fill out an immigrant petition. These forms often depend on the eligibility category you qualify under. Then make sure that a visa is available in the category in which you are applying. To initiate the adjustment of status process, you can file a Form I-485. The Application Support Center will then send you a notice for an appointment. The USCIS will evaluate each case and issue you notice if your situation requires an interview. Keep in mind, the sponsor who filled out the immigration petition will need to join you at the meeting.

In some cases, the department may need more information and further evidence regarding your situation. If this happens, be sure to supply officials with the data needed to further evaluate your case so it does not get denied.

This information is intended to educate and should not be used as legal advice.

About the Author

Richard J. Tasoff

Senior Partner Richard J. Tasoff is a senior partner in Tasoff & Tasoff, one of the oldest "AV" rated (highest Martindale-Hubbell rating) law firms in Los Angeles specializing in immigration law. Richard, a Certified Specialist in Immigration & Nationality Law (State Bar of California Board of L...


There are no comments for this post. Be the first and Add your Comment below.

Leave a Comment

Don't Wait To Obtain Legal Representation

Contact our firm today to arrange for a free initial consultation regarding your immigration matter. Call us at 818-788-8900 or send an online message using the form on this website. We will respond promptly to all messages.

Spanish language services available — Se habla español

Tasoff and Tasoff, Immigration Attorneys
818-788-5900 (fax)
Mon: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Tue: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Wed: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Thu: 09:00am - 05:00pm
Fri: 09:00am - 05:00pm