Law Office of Tasoff and Tasoff
Representation For Immigration Law Issues Nationwide
Call Us Today! 818-788-8900
Areas & Topics

Understanding permanent employment-based immigration

Understanding permanent employment-based immigration

If you are looking to move to California or another part of the United States for work, you may be able to do so by securing an employment-based visa. There are multiple types of employment-based visas, and the kind that might be most appropriate for you will likely depend factors such as your industry and your level of expertise within it. At the Law Office of Tasoff and Tasoff, we understand what goes into securing a work visa, and we have helped many clients navigate the process of coming to live and work in the United States on a permanent basis.

Per the American Immigration Council, if you wish to live and work in the country on a permanent basis, you will need to establish lawful permanent residency. Once you do so, you may apply for virtually all jobs available in the United States (unless the job opportunity is open exclusively to U.S. citizens). Additionally, if you are able to secure lawful permanent residency because of your job, you may also apply to become a U.S. citizen after five years have passed.

Establishing permanent residency is a multi-step process. Typically, the first step involves having your American employer file a petition on your behalf with United States Citizenship and Immigration Services that states that he or she was unsuccessful at filling the position with an American worker.

If your employer’s request is granted, a visa number is available, and you are already working in the U.S. because of a temporary visa, you may be able to apply to become a permanent resident through requesting an “adjustment of status.” More about immigrating to the United States for work is available on our web page.


No Comments

Leave a comment
Comment Information


Law Office of Tasoff and Tasoff
16255 Ventura Blvd. Suite 1000
Encino, CA 91436

Phone: 818-788-8900
Fax: 818-788-5900
Encino Law Office Map


Review Us